Popular Posts

Thursday, May 8, 2014

The cardiac cycle: Update!

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Hi all,
Oh how touched and impressed I have been with this wonderful thing called mankind. My previous blog [The Cardiac cycle, below] was meant just to add a little water to the dry JustGiving link. Admittedly, I did have the conscious objective of raising money for the British Heart Foundation, but I had no idea how my chosen topic, tetralogy of fallot, may be so relevant for some readers.  The donations I have accumulated, currently standing at £420, nearly 3 times my original aim of £150. This is astounding, I really expected £150 to be a push! So here is me shouting a huge THANK YOU to all those who have donated so far.
Cycle to Hampstead heath




My training has been trickling along. 20 miles the day after my birthday was a good start. Interweaving a picnic in a springy Hampstead heath made for a great day, whilst also building up the old leg stamina. London can feel grey and opressive sometimes, and being a country girl, I like to make a point of searching out the green. Living in Kennington does not aid me in this, I must admit, as Kennington park is my most accessible greenery, and that is saying something! However, Clapham common, Dulwich and H. Heath have made for good training excursions around London!  I would happily try out some new routes if anyone has any suggestions?
Comments:



 Over easter, I had the pleasure of going back up to Scotland to visit old uni friends. Passing through a rainy Glasgow, a super sunny Edinburgh and up to the highlands never loses its novelty. We booked a log cabin for the weekend on the shores of the incredibly beautiful Loch Awe, it's well worth a visit if you're looking for a break on UK soil. On driving to the feral cabin, we got lost and passed through the valley where Skyfall was filmed, possibly the only enjoyable place to find yourself lost. That evening we crowded around a wood burner, played board games and drank wine. Perhaps I am getting old before my time, but if this is what getting older is about, I'm happy!





We managed to fit a cycle ride in on the second day. It was a little different from the flats of London; what seem like small gradients are misleading. We also learned that what would be difficult on foot is no easier on a bike! With, however, the four gruelling ascents in the London-Brighton ride, I do need to get used to it.





Cycle by loch Awe
I now find myself back in the bustling streets of London, and the quest for fitness continues....

Since the previous blog, the cause of my London-Brighton ride has taken a slightly more personal turn. The feedback after the previous blog brought to light the significance of raising money for the British Heart Foundation and just how much this can affect people without you even knowing...

My page is still open if anyone wants to support the cause :) I've upped my target to £650!!
Let's do it.

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment